Regular window maintenance is a fundamental part of any home maintenance plan. When you look after your windows, you improve your home’s energy efficiency and save yourself a few dollars on electricity bill and discomfort. Windows that are well taken care of can be an important part of your goal to reduce unnecessary household expenses.
There are lots of window designs and options, however, they all need some kind of annual or semi-annual maintenance plan. Whether you have lots of windows or just a couple of, there are some essential home enhancement ideas that will help you ensure you’re getting as much benefit from your windows as possible.
Everybody knows how important it is to fix cracks, paint peeling window sills and sashes, and caulk areas where air can escape and cold can enter. Window maintenance is more than just making sure your windows remain in great condition. Always remember about some of these easy pointers to make your window maintenance much easier and to assist you to increase the energy efficiency of your windows.
Tips to assist you to increase the energy performance of your windows:
- If you live in an extremely cold or very hot climate (like Myrtle Beach), insulated drapes or shutters are a great choice. They form a barrier in between the window and your house, insulating it even further from the cold or sun.
- Setting up blinds or shades that can be closed at night to keep the cool air out, and opened during the day to allow sunlight to help warm a cool house, are an excellent investment and they do not obstruct the view when open.
- Set up awnings to assist in protecting windows from the damages of severe weather conditions. Awnings are great barriers versus scorching sun that warm the interior or your home.
- Speaking of awnings, they also offer security for windows from heavy rains. This can cut down on your maintenance work too.
- Setting up storm windows can make a huge difference in the energy efficiency of your windows. Storms windows serve many functions when it concerns energy effectiveness by keeping hot and cold out and keeping your cooling and heating expenses lower.
- Improving energy efficiency of windows can be supported by specially designed coverings or films that can be easily added to your windows. These films assist filter the hot sun rays and can keep the cold from permeating the glass.
Do not assume that the only thing you can do to improve the energy performance of your windows is to make window repairs to guarantee there are no cracks and breaks. You can also enhance efficiency by making the most of a few of the accessories such as awnings, drapes, shades, window coatings, and other products to improve the appearance and functionality of your windows. It’s a little financial investment that settles big.
Give us a call when it is time to upgrade your windows.
MBHS Windows, Doors & Enclosures
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577