You could find a number of reasons why a homeowner would want to have a window replacement. A house that’s seen decades of service would definitely be in need of a refresh. Of course, no home upgrade would be complete without a window overhaul. Considering today’s improvements on the technology behind the humble window, there are a lot of things to think about. You just can’t buy a new window without giving it some thought. You need to consider a number of things that may include energy efficiency, style, and cost. If you think that’s already a lot, you haven’t seen anything yet.
Reasons why homeowners replace their windows
As stated above, there are a lot of things that would push a homeowner to refresh his windows. Aside from age, there are other factors. Here are some of those things:
- Damaged windows and are already leaking
- Broken window panes
- The existing window contains hazardous materials
- Seals have degraded to a point where replacement is needed
- The homeowner no longer likes the design
If in case you are ready to make a window replacement in Myrtle Beach, there are some questions that you first need to ask. Here they are:
- How long will the new windows last? – The average window can last anywhere from 2-20 years. Of course, the more maintenance you put into it, the longer the window lasts. Another thing to watch out is the brand and quality of the window. Some brands don’t supply top-quality windows, making the lifespan of their products rather short. Also, be wary of brands that claim their windows could last up to 5 decades. Be especially wary if they don’t have any evidence that could back their claims.
- How long is the warranty? – Some window manufacturers offer warranties for a set number of years. Of course, the longer the warranty, the better. However, having a warranty, regardless of duration, is a good sign. Never buy windows from a manufacturer that does not offer a warranty on their product. Although it is rare to find such manufacturers, it’s still a good thing to be certain.
- How many panes are there? – The number of panes makes a huge difference in style and functionality. In essence, a single-paned window doesn’t offer the same benefits of a double-paned window. Single paned windows, in general, are more energy-efficient than two paned windows.
- Are they energy efficient? – Nowadays, it’s all about energy-efficient and how a homeowner can cut their energy bills. This actually makes sense for windows. The energy efficiency of an entire home is greatly affected by how the windows and doors are set up. Some windows trap heat or cold air which lessens the burden on the HVAC system. Also, window repair makes sure that energy efficiency is at its peak.
- How about the locking system? – If you live in a high-risk area where burglars abound, it would be good to know that the window has a certain locking system that could keep intruders out. After all, most burglars make their way through doors and windows. Having a reliable locking system will offer peace of mind on top of functionality.
Call your Myrtle Beach for any concerns regarding doors and windows.
MBHS Windows, Doors & Enclosures
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577